Top 5 Reasons to Vote YES on Proposal 1
May 5, 2015
- Proposal 1 will raise much-needed money for our crumbling transportation system, while also supporting our schools or local governments. A one-cent increase in the sales tax and a three-cent increase on a gallon of gas will yield an annual increase of $1.3 billion for roads, $116 million for transit, $200 million for schools, $111 million for local governments and $20 million for trails, marinas and other recreational amenities.
- It will be the first funding increase for public transit in almost three decades. Roads haven't seen an increase in almost 20 years.
- Proposal 1 protects low income families by increasing the Earned Income Tax Credit from 6% to 20%, providing tax cuts for families who qualify.
- There is no Plan B. In fact, the alternative proposals that have been presented by lawmakers do not provide enough money for transportation, do not support public transit, and take money away from other important areas of state funding like our schools and local governments.
- We can't wait. Every day that we don't fix our transportation infrastructure, the price tag goes up. Delay also costs us talented people -- and the economic development they bring with them -- who instead choose to live and work in places like Chicago and Minneapolis that offer modern transportation options.
- Our Proposal 1 Primer
- Our three part blog series on Michigan Distilled:
Thanks for supporting a brighter future for Michigan!
RELATED TOPICS: transportation policy
© Copyright Michigan Environmental Council, All rights reserved